Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and RFID

From: Matthias Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP and RFID
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:46:32 +0200

Hi,

there is a project for Gen2 RFID chips, they have a reader implementation for
the USRP1 and a monitoring tool to eavesdrop on reader-tag communication for
the USRP2:
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/Gen2

There are also papers on the design posted there. They had to tinker with the
USB driver as well because of timing issues with the reader.

I think Gen2 is only ~868MHz, I don't know if the code can be adapted to
13.56MHz stuff.  And for a (duplex) reader you will need a URSP1 there, because
two 900-daughterboards are required. It may be possible out of the box to build
a reader for 13.56MHz with the USRP2, as you have two "half"-daughterboards.

For the protocol implementation, you can take a look at
http://www.libnfc.org
it seems that they have some Gen1 support and you only have to implement the
physical layer in gnuradio.

We are currently thinking to start a RFID project as well, so I'm interested
what you find out.

Matthias