Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Link Improvement via Feedback

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Link Improvement via Feedback
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:04:17 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Daniel Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We're interested in using USRP2s and GNURadio for a wireless link, and
> adding a cognitive engine to it to improve link performance (PHY only).
>

> Currently, we are using benchmark_rx.py and benchmark_tx.py (from digital
> folder). Each USRP is connected to a seperate laptop via Ethernet.
>

> We can change knobs (eg: transmit power) at the transmit side (Node1) now
> during transmission. We are working on getting meter values (metrics such as
> SNR, BER, RSSI, etc.) from the receiver (Node2) and then passing them back
> to Node1.
>
> We've noticed that there is digital-ber rx scripts, can this be used with
> the digital/benchmark_tx.py in order to transfer a file? We did not see
> support for a specified file in the digital-bert/benchmark_tx.py script.
>

> What kind of set-up have people used for Cognitive radio feedback? If anyone
> has done this before and has suggestions, please let us know! Thanks in
> advance.
>
> --
> Daniel Ali
> Graduate Student
> Electrical and Computer Engineering
> Virginia Tech

Daniel,
Since you're at VT, I'm assuming you're familiar with my dissertation
and/or book (warning, plug coming) Artificial Intelligence in Wireless
Communications? It deals with using GNU Radio as a platform for
cognitive radio. I didn't deal with feedback; I was interested in
having each radio sense its own meters and make decisions off those.
So it doesn't address your specific issues, but might be helpful,
anyway.

Tom