Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom Processor

From: Sharif Shaher
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom Processor
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 17:04:20 -0400

 No, not really, its an indefinite data collection.

On 10/8/2010 4:40 PM, Marc Epard wrote:
On Oct 8, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Sharif Shaher wrote:

We are thinking of using a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor based PC with multiple
gigabit Ethernet ports
to collect data from multiple USPR2s and save that data off to disk.  We are
hoping to be able to
use decimation rates as low as 4 for captures of shorts (16bit I and 16 bit Q).
 We will be doing
nothing else on this PC, just capturing data.  So it will host ubuntu and
gnuradio.  Does anyone have
any idea if there is a throughput limit that we might be up against, say for 2
USRP2s, say 4 USRP2s.
I'd guess you'll first run into disk throughput issues. If you solve those,
there still might not be enough overall system (CPU, chipset, memory, I/O)
throughput. I don't have any intuition for what the limits might be. How long
is your sampling run? Will all the data fit in RAM?

-Marc