Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC 3.3.0 block documentation missing

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC 3.3.0 block documentation missing
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:55:58 -0400

On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Ed Criscuolo wrote:
> On 10/29/10 12:29 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
>> Did you build and install the doxygen documentation?
>
> I installed under OSX 10.6.4 using Michael Dickens' macports
> packaging of 3.3.0
>
>> Look at<prefix>/etc/gnuradio/conf.d/grc.conf
>> Is there documentation in the directory specified by doc_dir?
>
> No, there is not.
>
> I did further checking, and there is no doxygen package installed.
> Further, doing a search of all "gnuradio*" packages in the
> repository showed nothing that looked like a documentation package.
>
> Michael, is this an oversight, or am I missing something?

I think it's not an oversight; maybe it's a feature?  If you installed GNU
Radio via MacPorts' "gnuradio" port (or "gnuradio-*"), you need to do "sudo
port install gnuradio +docs" to get the docs.  I made them separate because not
everyone wants them & they do take extra time to be created.

You (or someone) need to install "doxygen" to get documentation.  Looks like
GNU Radio's build system auto-magically, and quietly, disables documentation if
doxygen isn't available (meaning, 'configure' says it cannot find doxygen but
'docs' is still enabled in the list of components to be build; the disabling
comes when it is time to actually build the docs).  This should probably be
fixed, since it is confusing.

It's very straight forward to get documentation on OSX using MacPorts:

   sudo port install doxygen

then re-run configure & make if you're building from GIT.  Hope this helps! -
MLD