Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Basic analog USRP2 transmitter

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Basic analog USRP2 transmitter
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 16:51:27 -0500

On 11/07/2010 04:29 PM, alexander levedahl wrote:
> Let me rephrase this.  I CANNOT USE GRC.  The latest version does not
> work with the OS that I have, and nobody here has any idea about how
> to follow the instructions to compile from source files.  So using GRC
> IS NOT AN OPTION.  We have to program in GNU radio using python
> scripts, NOT GRC.
>
> Alex
So nobody there, including *yourself* apparently, has enough clue to
rebuild Gnu Radio from source.
  I wonder, out loud, how you're going to be able to engage in any kind
of serious development if
  a simple task (and believe me, it *is* relatively simple) like
building from the latest GIT source
  on a well-supported platform like Fedora is a serious stumbling block.

The fact is, that most people on here are pretty busy folks, and if
we're going to help debug stuff
  for people, having the flow-graphs in a form that is less
time-consuming, both for the developer,
  and the folks who are donating their time to help you debug, just
makes a lot of sense.

It's vastly easier to spot obvious errors quickly in a GRC flow-graph
than to delve into someones
  Python code.  GRC is a *great* prototyping tool, and it's *totally*
worth the effort to get it
  going.  Some initial pain perhaps (although, really, doing a
build/install from GIT for all recent
  Fedora instantiations is very straightforward--use the BuildGuide
that's on the gnuradio website).

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium