[Discuss-gnuradio] Successful compilation on MinGW/MSYS

From: Balint Seeber
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Successful compilation on MinGW/MSYS
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:59:58 +1100

Dear all,

I’ve been using GR on Linux for some time, and thought I’d compare its performance on ‘that other’ OS.

A few weeks ago I checked out the latest from the repo and managed to compile all that could be compiled on Windows (7, 64-bit) using the latest 32-bit release of MinGW/MSYS and its bundled packages. The unbuilt components are those that explicitly require a different platform/build environment (i.e. USRP2, gcell & related). Qt, wx, GTK and GL GUI apps/components all work too (including GRC).

The existing guide on the GR wiki (http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/MingwInstallMain) was an excellent starting point, however additional source modification and configuration was necessary (e.g. creation of PkgConfig files).

Some simple tests with a USRP I indicated everything works well and performs similarly to a Linux build – as you would expect! Linux still feels slightly snappier though (WOW64?). There is also that issue where you have to re-connect the USRP after the firmware has been programmed.

I’m wondering how many people actually use GR under Windows? (I’m guessing it’s a minority!)

If it’s helpful to anyone, I can package up my build notes, .pc files and patches, and put them online.

Thanks for keeping GR (almost entirely) cross-platform!

Balint