Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broken gr_fir_fff ?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broken gr_fir_fff ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:56:51 -0800

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 08:05:51PM -0800, madengr wrote:

> Sorry if I can't provide any more debug info, I'm new and ignorant, but I
> updated from both the GnuRadio, UHD, and gr-air-mode repos today, and now
> I'm getting two programs with duplicate failure in gr_fir_fff.  They just
> dump back to the shell after 2 seconds with no debug info.

It's unlikely that there's a problem in gr_fir_fff.

What version of GNU Radio are you using?
What OS, distribution and version?
What hardware are you running it on?
How much memory does the machine have?
Is there anything interesting in /var/log/messages?

If there are 100's of blocks in this graph, you may want to reduce the
default stack size allocated for each thread.  (Even if not used, the
virtual address space is reserved.)

    # Output from an x86_64 machine running Fedora 13

    $ ulimit -a
    core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
    scheduling priority             (-e) 0
    pending signals                 (-i) 63888
    max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
    open files                      (-n) 1024
    pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
    POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
    real-time priority              (-r) 50
    stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
    max user processes              (-u) 1024

The default stack size is 10240k. You can probably reduce this to
4094k (or maybe 2048k) without a problem using:

   $ ulimit -Ss 4096

Using -S sets the "soft limit", which means you can set it back up
without being root:

  $ ulimit -Ss 10240

Eric