[Discuss-gnuradio] Installing the latest gnuradio and gnuradio-companion

From: Brad Hein
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing the latest gnuradio and gnuradio-companion (grc) in Fedora 14
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:34:19 -0500

Hello all -
I wanted to share my notes for installing gnuradio in Fedora 14. There
were a few snags at first but with help from the friendly folks on
discuss-gnuradio, I was able to push through and compile gnuradio and
gnuradio-companion in Fedora 14! Note that Installing gnuradio/grc
with yum didn't work for me so I had to compile from source. At a
future date there may be some updated binaries added to the Fedora
repository, but until then, we can install it by compiling the source!

Getting latest GNURadio from GIT and building it on Fedora 14!
* Uninstall any existing gnuradio and grc rpm packages using yum.
* Obtain the source code to gnuradio via git.
  # git clone git://gnuradio.org/gnuradio
* A Link to the build instructions.
  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/1/BuildGuide
  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/repositories/entry/gnuradio/README
* Per the instructions, for a required package foo, we will install
foo and foo-devel
* The following single YUM command sets up the environment necessary
to build gnuradio!
  # yum install SDL* PyQt4 PyQt4-devel alsa-lib-devel gcc gpp gcc-c++
autoconf automake libtool pkgconfig fftw fftw-devel python numpy boost
boost-* cppunit cppunit-devel swig sdcc sdcc-libc-sources guile
guile-devel guile-* gsl gsl-devel pygsl pygsl-devel wxPython
wxPython-devel xmlto python-cheetah python-turbocheetah python-lxml
doxygen pygtk2 qwt-devel
* Now go into the gnuradio direcotry and run ./bootstrap to build the
configure script.
* Now run configure
  # ./configure --enable-grc --enable-gr-qtgui   --enable-gr-audio-alsa
* Then run
  # make check install

Troubleshooting
Problem: Python path set incorrectly and prevents gnuradio-companion
(grc) from starting.
    $ echo $PYTHONPATH
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mpich2
Solution:
--> Change the python path before running gnuradio-companion.
--> $ export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
--> A more permanent fix can be applied by adding the export command
to a new file in /etc/profiles.d, or ~/.bash_profile.