Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fw: Need Advice for SDR choice

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fw: Need Advice for SDR choice
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:10:57 -0500

> On Jan 2, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Rich wrote:
>
>> I have a MacBook PRO I7 it can run OS X or windows
>>
> I have been successfully using the Ettus Research USRP with LFRX, LFTX and
> WBX boards on my 17" MacBook Pro under OS X (Snow Leopard). Installing the
> software portion is pretty easy: Install the MacPorts package, then run "sudo
> port install gnuradio" in a terminal window. You can play with the gnuradio
> software to see if it's right for you before committing to buying any
> hardware, since it can use the audio device and/or data files as a
> source/sink, or even run entirely simulated flowgraphs.

The only caution I have is that the pre-packaged binary packages for
various OS distributions are often
  moderately to severely out-of-date with respect to the current GIT
codebase.

For Ubuntu and Fedora users, I usually recommend a build of Gnu Radio
and UHD from the current
  GIT sources--which I have to admit is partially selfish on my part.
 Fewer people in my support
  queue that way :-) [Wearing my address@hidden hat].

--
Principal Investigator