Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circ

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copy Circuit into PCB
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 23:48:25 -0500

Hi Marten,

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Marten Christophe <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Mr. Ettus,
> Do you have any plan to reduce price for USRP1 or release PCB layout for
> poor students?

So I have a feeling your requests are going to go unanswered, and I
don't blame the deaf ears one bit.

Here starts some guidance, maybe a little ranting, but try to take
from it some good direction as to where students should go and take
their want and desire for hardware.

The metaphor of a dog chasing a car really stands firm in this case.
Once the dog catches the car, or the student acquires a USRP, what are
they going to do with it?  In both cases, I predict - nothing!

So lets figure out something that is worth while for you to do -
simulate something.  Simulate anything!  There is a channel simulator
built into GNU Radio.  Use it.  Get familiar with it.  Familiarize
yourself with channels of varying types.  If you can't get that
channel simulator to work, make your own!  Prove it accurately
simulates different channels.  Understand frequency offset,
synchronization problems, non-coherent and coherent reception, dynamic
range, multipath, equalization, forward error correction, etc.

What you seem to not realize or understand is that the GNU Radio
software that you can compile and putz around with is worth
significantly more to you than any piece of hardware that will capture
or create EM radiation.

I implore you, as a student, to write papers using GNU Radio, create
and simulate systems using GNU Radio, and get your BER curves where
you think they should be using GNU Radio.  When you accomplish that,
then maybe you could ask someone for some hardware to perform
experiments and see how your system works in the real world versus
your simulation.  Do the models match?  Where do they differ?  Are you
on your way to becoming a communications expert?

I believe, wholeheartedly, that if you showed this level of drive,
understanding and expertise, you could probably find someone to either
front the money to buy you a system for you to continue your work or
gladly donate something to you.  But until you can figure out what
you're going to do with the car after you catch it and show you are
competent, I doubt this line of questioning will be any better than
interrogating a brick wall.

My sincerest apologies if this comes off as crass or rude, but I
honestly tried to be motivating and give direction.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Brian