[Discuss-gnuradio] On Starving Students

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] On Starving Students
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:51:53 -0800

Dear List,

This is the GNU Radio mailing list, and its purpose is to discuss the use and development of GNU Radio. I try to refrain from talking about our business out of respect for the purpose of this list and the community. However, due to the tenor of the recent conversation, I feel that I must say a few things.

GNU Radio can be and is used with _many_ different hardware devices, not just those of our company. Some of those are completely different from the USRP, some emulate the USRP, some are based on the USRP design to a greater or lesser degree, and some are complete clones of it. Some cost less, most cost more. To my knowledge none of them other than the SSRP actually give out schematics or other technical details, but that is the choice of those designers/companies.

You have the freedom to use or not use any of these, or even to make your own. If you wish to make your own in a collaborative manner, I think the GNU Radio mailing list is the perfect place to find like minded people to work with, and I would encourage you to use it as such. There are a lot of intelligent people here with a lot of experience to draw upon.

At Ettus Research we get daily requests from students (and people falsely claiming to be students) all over the world for free or nearly-free hardware. Most (but not all) of them are at least a bit more courteous than the outright demands we have been receiving for the last 2 months from the multiple people who go by the name "Marten Christophe". If we were to accede to all of these requests/demands we would be sending out more free USRPs than paid ones.

Very early on, I fell for this trick. I sent nearly-free hardware to several so-called starving students. Most of those boards were sold on eBay at a profit. The rest, to my knowledge, were never even turned on and the "students" disappeared.

I have always found a way to get hardware to those students who actually contribute to the GNU Radio or OpenBTS projects and demonstrate competency and a willingness to collaborate. I fully intend to continue to do so. I will not send out free hardware to someone who just shows up and demands it under a fake name.

If you feel that our prices are too high, then I would encourage you to make your own hardware. If you think you are a starving student now, wait until you try to sell USRPs for $450.

Matt Ettus
President, Ettus Research LLC