Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copyCircu

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request....for allowing to copyCircuit into PCB
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:06:38 +0200

To Mr Moller & all the starving students,

It's not much for the tax-payer or commercial clients. But it's a lot for a hobbyist.
Why can't there be a open-source community version of a Gnuradio-Hardware,
about $200 for the material, do-it-yourself assembling, some performance
tradeoffs (no expensive MIMO connector, cheap FPGA variant) etc. ?
This is a RX-only SDR with all relevant design files
(Schematics, PCB, Gerber), BOM about $200 :
http://sdrtrack.drupalcafe.com/?q=node/2

Evidently Moller's soldering iron is glowing at the moment so we'll soon see his $200 SDR
sold for the (poor) HAMs and students as a kit in hundreds of pieces....

To those poor students (and Mr Moller):
A few month ago Mr Jamie Morken donated his USRP1 to Jerry Martes for investigating GOES LRIT/HRIT/EMWIN and POES-HRPT signals inhope to add more RX examples to gnuradio. It was I (Patrik Tast, FI) who encouraged Jerry to poke Jamie when he announced an USRP is available.
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/203836

When we noted that J "won" the USRP1 I suggested immediately it should be available for everybody, all seriously should be able to connect to it and rip GOES/POES data
from it for their theseis and gnuradio developement in general.

We have made a VNC connection to his USRP, I have not only once announced in this email list that it is available for students <74.100.85.18:1> As we have seen, none seem to be interested to connect to it and receive GOES live signals for $0...Please do try to setup your own dish and point it at GOES and calculate the time & cost it will take you.
All is given for free here, but no interest what so ever....

At the moment we are a 3 man team:
- Jerry Martes @ LA, CA, US: Antenna operator and USRP administrator
- Martin Blaho @ Czech Republic: GR Signal processing programmer
- Patrik Tast @ Finland: GR Signal processing programmer and imager programmer

As soon as we're done with POES-HRPT & GOES the (Jamie Morken) USRP will be shipped to the next station

Those who are serious can connect to it using VNC just send me an email and you'll get the logins.

Patrik (who wonder if extreme USRP usage can be more cheap if you work togeather....)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moeller" <address@hidden>