Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option

From: Jamie Morken
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:00:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Brower <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:43 pm
To: Jamie Morken <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

> Jamie-
>
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > That sounds like a pretty good system.  I should say right
> > off the bat that if I am involved to make this I would want
> > to add a clause in the open source hardware license to not
> > allow the hardware to be used for military applications.  I
> > think it is important to state this at the start before I
> > would get involved working on a new gnu radio board.  If
> > people can live with that requirement I am happy to do the
> > layout work.
>
> Obtaining critical mass with a community based, open source
> project is difficult enough -- you can see the very few
> examples that are successful and still alive after a couple of
> years.  I'm not saying you're wrong or right, but if
> you make the path more narrow, your chances of success -- i.e.
> reaching milestones on the path and getting others to
> follow you -- decrease.
>
> Can you show some examples of other *successful* open source /
> open hardware projects where the license has this clause?

Hi Jeff,

All "non-commercial use only" clauses most likely restrict most military use, and these are quite common, and are far more restrictive than a "non-military use only" clause.  I do follow what you are saying though, but its a choice like "ethical investing", it makes economic sense to some people and seems foolish to some people.

cheers,
Jamie