Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Low-cost hardware options

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Low-cost hardware options
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:53:16 -0500

On 01/15/2011 05:01 AM, Moeller wrote:

> But I would suggest an option to switch to a second input,
> directly into the ADC, to cover the range DC to 10 MHz, or to attach
> an external RF, IF (e.g. from an amateur radio).
> Or a second board without mixer, just replacing it on the FMC connector,
> similar to the USRP daughterboard system.

Yes, I considered that, too, and it would be cheap to do.  I'll update the
  block diagram.

> I looked at the CY7C68013 EZ-USB FX2 data sheet.
> Is it true that we wouldn't need any FPGA glue logic to control
> the receiver, for the frequency synthesizer, flow control etc. ?
> There are lots of IO pins and busses on the FX2.
> The embedded 8051 µC could be used to control the receiver.

We'd likely need a *little* bit of "glue logic" to interface to a "smart"
  ADC like the AD6652, something that a little CPLD would work
  just fine for.

> I think for USB you don't have to deal with the protocol.
> USB chips will handle this, similar to the EZ-USB.

There aren't a lot of USB-3.0 chips out at the moment--most implementations
  that I can see are FPGA-based, hence the comment.  But something like
  the EZ-FX2, but support USB-3.0 instead may emerge at some point.
  Don't know--anyone else have a good "view" into where USB-3.0 is
  going?

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium