Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a qu

From: Sanjay Singh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a question]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:45:17 +0530

Hi Martin/all,

There is need for open source platform for GNURadio. I request people of concern to understand my view. Am not at all against GNURadio.Its in fact GNURadio gave birth to open source platform. But what i see is there is a split as of date against software and hardware. In order to cut down the gap, GNURadio community should enforce people working around to maintain the eco ssytem being built to support open source platforms. Its a vision to be realized rather being bound to commercial fronts. There are many organizations and people who could donate funds  to GNURadio for building a world class open source platform for all the Students/Researchers.

I would wish all community members actively participate and proceed to do needful.

Respect you all in your time and concerns...

S--

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:20:43AM +0530, Sanjay Singh wrote:
> Its not about talking high. Its community of people trying hard to press Ettus
> Research products. Putting people down is not the motto of GNURadio.
>
> Regrading putting off from the list: Discussion is on for open source platform.
> This is GNURadio platform. Here discussions are open for Ettus Research
> products and any other hardware product which can be used with GNURadio.
>
> Is GNURadio also owned by Ettus Research ?.
>
> Regarding your concern on keeping things focused;
>
> Things on GNURadio are not focused. That's the concern. When.open source
> platform is the focus then everyone has the freedom to discuss open platform
> solution rather than promoting specific products for commercial needs.

I think this unfair in several ways.
I'm not repeating what Brian said, he's right and there's enough
redundancy here already.

But all these open hardware threads seem to neglect that there's a
powerful *software* tool out there for real-time signal processing, and
a lot is happening at that end. GNU Radio is much more than the USRPs;
in fact, it's *not even* the USRPs.
I'm not quite sure what your email is trying to say. What I read is that
GNU Radio's not going anywhere and that it's merely a tool to promote
the selling of USRPs.

Fact is, a lot of interesting things are going on. Stream tags were
introduced in the 'next' branch, and ignored (or rather: blanked out by
discussions on the price of USRPs), a feature which many had requested
in the past. Quite a lot of signal processing has been added since
version 3.2.2. So saying GNU Radio is disappointing is a bit unfair to
those who actually maintain it, and disconcerting to those who (want to)
use it.

Talking of which: Who actually *does* use GNU Radio? I can't see a whole
lot of active projects going on, not on this list or on CGRAN.

However, I'm beginning to turn this into a general rant. I wonder if
it's possible to turn this list back into a place where we can discuss
the interesting parts of GNU Radio and GPP-based signal processing.

And with all the drawbacks and bugs that GNU Radio has, there's nothing
comparable in the open source domain. So if GNU Radio really sucks,
then how about a proper discussion on what's wrong. And not about which
HF-frontend costs how much.

Bye,
MB

--