Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions on the new UbuntuInstall wiki-site

From: Fabian Klaes
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions on the new UbuntuInstall wiki-site
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:55:59 +0100

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Fabian Klaes <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Alexandru,

you're right, libfftw3-dev is still there at the end of the line. It just got cut off on my print-out with which i compared the old version.

Fabian

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Fabian Klaes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear List, dear Alexandru,
>
> at first i have to say, the installation instructions are looking much
> better now! Thanks!

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the feedback. The page really needed to be simplified
because much text that caused confusion was no longer relevant for
recent Ubuntu. I kept the old instruction for Ubuntu 8.04 or earlier
here:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/LegacyUbuntuInstall

> But when comparing the new to the old instructions i noticed some
> differences (for Ubuntu 10.04), that made me think:
>
> 1) The "Install Boost" Part is gone. I did not notice an additional command
> for installing boost in the script (besides of libboost-all-dev, but that
> was there before). Isn't it necessary any more to install Boost separately
> or at all?

Since Ubuntu 8.10, the boost that comes in Ubuntu is sufficient and
manual installation is not necessary.
libboost-all-dev installs the devpacks for all boost components.

> 2) I also noticed that you added autoconf and removed libfftw3-dev from the
> script. Why was libfftw3-dev removed? Is it included somewhere else in
> 10.04, because i saw, that it's still included in the Script for 9.10.

Although autoconf is already installed as a dependency for automake, I
decided to list is explicitly.
libfftw3-dev is still there at the end of the first line?

> I just got curious and hope that these didn't accidentally went missing
> during the change.

Thanks. I didn't have a chance to verify all the install scripts and
there may indeed be an error or two.

Alex