Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:25:16 -0800

>    As I mentioned a few times here, I really can't install that GNU Radio in
> Windows environment (I followed all steps found in those descriptions
> regarding,
> how to install it with MinGW or CygWin). So I have to give it up and try to

I'm posting a uhd, gnuradio, and misc dependencies installer. Make sure
to set your PATH to the installed library dirs. The other pre-reqs come
with installers you can get from the internet and maybe I will upload
them later (python, numpy, pyqt, pygtk, etc...)

http://www.joshknows.com/download/gnuradio_port/

> focuse on other solutions like UHD or maybe others. What I want to do is to
> make
> some simple data transfers on different frequencies, basic communication with
> some modules made by me. Really I don't need all that python stuff and all
> those
> dependencies problems. I was even thinking to control USRP from my
> application,
> it would be much faster than using Python, but how to write the firmware into

The performance overhead of python is irrelevant because its not used in
the fast path. However, the developer overhead is. :-)

> the FPGA. OK, I got it, through that nice USB transceiver. After installing
> the
> USB driver when the USRP1 is connected to the PC it shows up the device with
> that FFFE VID and 0002 PID. Could anybody tell me what to do from this point
> be able to program the firmware into the FPGA or maybe to change the firmware
> of
> the EZ-USB FX2 transceiver? I suppose after I will program the rbf file into
> the

See <uhd-repo>/host/lib/usrp/usrp1/usrp1_ctrl.cpp

> FPGA I could start to get and set things, send orders to the board to set
> frequency, decimation, sampling rate or read/write raw data. Commands to
> drive
> the USRP1 and my WBX daughterboard I could get from written source code (ex:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/repositories/entry/gnuradio/usrp/host/lib/db_wbxng.cc),
>  anyway I'll start to make the whole program with the help of FreePascal.

Lol ok

>   A second alternative would be to use UHD (documentation is very poor)
> because

Ok, whats missing for you?

http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/build.html

> the same problems encountered when installing GNU Radio on Windows OS, why
> couldn't they provide a simple DLL file for using it on all Win OS's. Could

They can

> anybody tell me how does UHD behave in Win OS? It's easy to use it?

Its functionally identical under windows

> As a final answer, based on my description I do expect too much from this
> USRP1+WBX hardware or there are other people heaving the same problems?

Whats the problem?

_josh