[Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS

From: Florian Eugen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question UHD, WINDOWS
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:19:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi mr. Josh,

   thank you very much for answering to my questions. It's good to know that somebody started to think to those people who are using Windows OS. I want you to know that I'm used to other types of development like microcontrollers, FPGA's, different communications RS232, RS485, SPI, I2C, and many others different from this GNU Radio stuff, but even if I read many things about GNU Radio it's hard to understand how it's working, especially when I had so many problems while trying to install it on Windows and to tell you the truth I have my USRP for about a year and no success to try it on Win OS.

   After heaving so many problems with the installation part I decided to use something else, and I thought I would use some DLL found on Tools4SDR, but it turned out it doesn't has any support for new daughterboards like WBX, than it came up the idea to make my own program to control USRP, but maybe that's not such a good idea so I tend to accept that I will have to use UHD, GNU Radio (in a certain way) and a compiler to make my program and bound all these together. What I downloaded here http://www.joshknows.com/download/gnuradio_port/, looks better (UHD is what I need - something that I can use to control USRP),  I only have to understand how to use it with my application, I wouldn't like to use it with python.

   OK, so there's the USRP, it needs the rbf file containing the logic for the FPGA, how it has to work. Usually I program my FPGA boards with a JTAG programmer, but here is a nice USB transceiver, that is the first problem, to understand how it works, and how is GNU Radio driving it. As I understand the 8051 microcontroller is already programmed (This is why I get the correct FFFE VID and 0002 PID when heaving the USRP connected to the PC and Win driver installed). There's many source code related to the USB transceiver in many different files and as I saw it's quite difficult to use all that. When is the rbf file written to the FPGA (I suppose that only once at the beginning), but where, I checked an example code for USRP, the "usrp_spectrum_sense.py" file and I can't get the picture where is told what and when to write to the FPGA? Anyway as I checked out that python code, regarding the fact that I'm used to the well structured pascal code, this is a mess, I already dislike python, but if I will have to use it, I think I don't have any other choice.

   OK, so let's suppose that the rbf file is written to the FPGA through that USB transceiver. I run a python code and I get some results like a nice plot, representing some values coming as a stream from the FPGA. I checked the "usrp_spectrum_sense.py" example python code for USRP, WOW, it's really a mess (C source code it's not as well structured code as Pascal, but Python is very ugly compared to C, maybe because I'm not used to it therefore I'm sure that you don't agree with me ), I don't want to plot anything anywhere (maybe only time to time when trying out new things and I want to see what I do receive), only to get some data that might arrive at a certain frequency, after that I will make the whole demodulation, and others (in pure Pascal, or maybe using some components from Delphi, FreePascal). I saw that GNU Radio has many functions written that might help in certain conditions (OFDM, Trellis, audio, video, etc.), that's very good, but I'm searching a way to integrate all that into my application.

   What I need: my software will be run on a computer (Core2Duo processor at 2 GHz) with an embedded OS (WIN or Linux), therefore my application will be able to make many calculations, modulation, demodulation, set USRP parameters very fast, and so on. The software will be able to get some data from outside with the help of the USRP and send some data to different modules (maybe some data, at a very low data rate transfer, on 433 MHz ISM band, while using some Manchester coding with my OOK- ON-OFF Keying transceiver - I will use a scripting language (not python) like C or Pascal where I will tell USRP what to do - set frequency to a value, set decimation, form a certain package from various data and so on), so I want to get out from the I and Q data received from USRP a digital value 1000101110. OK, let's suppose that I would use Python, how would I transfer data to my application (without saving data to file and read it back from my application)? In a few words: it will be a real application, not ploting signals and other stuff. For example as I understand, it's possible to receive data from two sources (two different frequencies) heaving the same data rate transfer, WOW, it would be quite nice.

   How I imagined it to work: here is the UHD, with many functions to help read and set data from/to USRP. I connect from my application to the UHD.dll and start to use those functions from the dll file. Connect to the gnuradio-core.dll, and make some signal processing (give raw data received from FPGA through USB and get values). Anyway I think I missunderstood GNU Radio workig methode. I'm trying to understand and to figure out how could I integrate all you have done in GNU Radio into my application, and use it efficiently.

   Could you give me some ideas. I would appriciate any advice, you and others might give me. I know that I look like a stupid person, but all that information regarding UHD, USRP, GNU radio is messed up in my head and it needs some answers to put each piece where it belongs to.

   Thank you very much. Please excuse me for bothering you with my questions, but I really need somebody like you to give me a few answers that I hope will help me to understand how does it work.

I wish everybody a very nice day.

Best regards,
Florian Eugen.