Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Receiver

From: Almohanad Fayez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Receiver
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:19:40 -0500 (EST)

I have run into this problem on the Beagleboard ... here's my explanation for what I think is happening and the fix.  What's happening is GNU Radio is trying to run as a real time thread which if you're root or you've given your Linux username permission to have rtprio privileges but for some reason I also ran into the problem where I can't get realtime scheduling privileges.

The parametes of interest to fix this problem are

cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us
output = 950000
cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_period_us
output = 1000000

now sched_rt_period_us controls the scheduling period in your processor and sched_rt_runtime_us controls how much of that period is reserved for realtime processing.  When you read the associated driver documentation it says to disable this segmenting for the realtime period partitioning you need to set sched_rt_runtime_us to -1 or you can completely disable this feature in your kernel by "make menuconfig" in your kernel driver directory ... my preference is not to mess with drivers so I set it to -1 with

echo -1 >
sched_rt_runtime_us

now when you run
cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us
output = -1

Now you should be able to use realtime scheduling in GNU Radio.  I'm not sure if this is a good fix because it might give background processes realtime privileges which would defeat the purpose of the realtime designation ... for me I'm running console Linux on the Beagleboard so it's an acceptable solution.  As an alternative approach you might try to use the Linux "nice" and "renice" programs to tweak thread priority but I personally wans't successful with this approach.

al fayez