[Discuss-gnuradio] Cywgin vs Ubuntu

From: Vijay Pillai
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cywgin vs Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:00:24 -0800 (PST)

I initially tried to do everything on Cygwin. I spent more than 4 days (12+hours per day) trying to get this running without much success due all the issues about differing versions of compilers, other errors on the board and so on. Only for experts like Don Ward, would Cygwin be a feasible option.

Then finally this afternoon i tried Ubuntu (after a suggestion from the folks at Ettus). It took me only 4 hours to get running (including installing Ubuntu on my Windows machine which is easily done using Wubi). I am very happy with what I am seeing and am much excited to start using my USRP.

Considering what a hassle Cygwin has been, I think it would be a disservice to future users to even have it listed there (unless maybe it is clearly indicated in large red font that it could be a futile endeavor) on the gnuradio page. There was a feeble mention of possible issues on the webpage, which I think is a gross understatement just going by my experience.

Best regards,
-Vijay