[Discuss-gnuradio] Use of OpenGL in gr-qtgui

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Use of OpenGL in gr-qtgui
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:37:55 -0400

So, surfing through the gr-qtgui source code, it's not clear to me whether the Qt widgets use OpenGL rendering or not.

If they do, then are the Qt widgets equally-likely to provoke some of the horrible problems I've seen with the OpenGL in
  WxWidgets used in Gnu Radio?

The OpenGL "eco-system" seems to break randomly, even for apparently-correct applications, particularly when the DRM is used in the X server, but only on certain hardware. This makes it difficult to predict whether a given Gnu Radio application will at some point fail, when run on hardware whose OpenGL/DRM/whatever-the-heck has bugs.

I started looking at Qt (the GRC instance in particular) to see if I could perhaps avoid the whole flakiness in the OpenGL eco-system, but if Qt in turn uses OpenGL to render certain things, then perhaps that's not a wise thing to do?

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator