Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to decode the convolutional code in the GRC

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to decode the convolutional code in the GRC
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:55:51 -0400

Regarding interleaver, this is already implemented in gr-trellis in
a very general (block) form (any kind of permutation of n units of arbitrary byte length. See interleaver.h/cc and trellis_permitation.h/cc/i files for details.

Regarding BCH it would be nice to have a gnuradio "module"
with general block coding including BCH codes.
If the code exists out there, it should
be pretty straightforward to import it as gnuradio "blocks".
But someone has to do it...

I do not remember the 2007 discussions but one point to be made is the following: gr_trellis as well as some other blocks in gnuradio are providing generic modules to do things. The examples you mention provide complete transmission "systems" and thus there is no ONE BEST way to do things...

For example, synchronization is NOT the task of the viterbi algorithm.
If you want to do joint decoding and synchronization you have to write a different block and it is bound to be specific to the application (well....to a large extend...) These are more complex systems and i don't think that SDR is at this level of sophistication at this point: just take a look at how simple DPSK transmission/reception is implemented: all tasks (frequency/phase sync, timing sync, decoding, etc) are implemented separately; forget about joint decoding and synchronization...

Achilleas