Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error handler

From: Plett, Mark L.
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error handler
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:59:19 -0400

Hi Tom, Alex, and Josh,

We've started looking into logging for our modems as well.  Currently we use
the python logging module for logging on the python side.  We have started to
include the log4cplus library for logging in our blocks.  We are starting with
each block having its own logger, but plan to eventually move to one logger in
a static class.

It wasn't clear what advantages boost.log had over log4cplus.  We started with
log4cplus since it has the same log4j roots as the python logging module. So we
could have similar configuration files and paradigms in C++ as we are using in
Python.  Any thoughts on which library would be a better starting point?

Regardless of which library gets used, I would advocate using one of the
already available libraries in some kind of thin GR wrapper.

Its important to our modems that we be able to remove the logging entirely for
performance. Which we can do with log4cplus.  Can we do that with boost.log as
well?

Our logging wish list would look something like this:

1) The usual logging features, rolling files, level filtering, various output
streams, file, socket, stdout etc...
2) One module for logging in python and C++
3) One module for logging across separate blocks
4) Logging easily disabled from the build so we can easily control the
trade-off between performance and debug.

Our current plan is to roll our own logging with the log4cplus library.  Is
anyone signing up to take on logging for gnuradio?  Does anyone has a clear
argument for or against log4cplus vs boost.log?

Thanks,
--mp