Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latest GIT on OpenSuse 11.4 x64 - PYTHONPATH

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latest GIT on OpenSuse 11.4 x64 - PYTHONPATH
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:19:35 +0200

Unfortunately, the Gnuradio "make install" Installer
is a bit buggy. It distributes python libs between
the lib64 and lib folders. Python cannot handle this chaos,
even with both directories in PYTHONPATH.

I solved it by creating a symlink before installing:

ln -s /usr/local/lib64/python2.7/ /usr/local/lib/python2.7

Apparently, Gnuradio is the only app that wrote to /usr/local/lib/python2.7,
because this directory didn't exist before (pure 64 Bit operating system).

After symlinking, the "make install" effectively writes all into
a single destination and Python finds all dependencies.

I never understood, why this Linux introduced the lib64 folders.
Why not keeping the 64 Bit code in the lib standard location
and put all legacy 32 bit code in lib32 folders?
Do other Linux distributions handle this in a different way?