Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FSK modulation

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FSK modulation
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:18:27 -0400

On 29/04/2011 2:05 PM, Pascal Matthieu wrote:
Hi,

    I would like to ask a few questions regarding USRP, UHD and GNU Radio. I have 2 USRP devices and one module I bought that's able transmitt and receive on 433.92 MHz. I installed UHD on 2 computers (both with Win XP OS), connected to each one a USRP1 that has a WBX daughterboard and a Log Periodic type antenna by Kent Electronics that's on Ettus order page. Both USRP's are recognized.

1. I would like to send some data packets that will have FSK and GFSK modulation. With one USRP I will receive data coming from the module and data coming from the second USRP. Each packet will have some data in it to be identified, so that I could log it. As I am a newbie I would like to ask if there are any test examples for GRC or simply Python to modify it to meet my requirements. Honestly I don't know where to start. There are blocks for AM, FM, DPSK, GMSK, QAM and others, each one heaving a MOD and DEMOD block but no blocks for FSK.
One thing to observe is that FM and FSK are essentially the same thing, with FM having a "continuous" modulation input, and FSK having
  a "discrete" (1s and 0s) input.
rors and data is not usable. Is it correct how I'm thinking the problem or I should tink in a different way.

3. My first steps will be to try some source code in Python but after that I plan to make my own interface to control these devices (the second USRP and the module). I don't really know how to get the I/Q data from USRP, how to set different parameters like center frequency and others. There's any partial or full documentation related to this. If I could use the Visual Studio I would be able to make some GUI. If there's no souce code written for FSK maybe based on other codes written for other modulation types, I will make one, but ther's little chance for that to work, anyway I will have to know how to get I/Q data from USRP, how to write .rbf file to FPGA, and others.

Use the source, Luke.  All of the source code for Gnu Radio, UHD, and the FPGA code is all there.  If you want to build your own interface
  to the hardware, all the information is there, in the form of the source code, to do so.  But I have to ask--why?  Unless you have some
  very-stringent requirements, it doesn't sound like what you want to do can't be accomplished with UHD+Gnu Radio.  In terms of interesting
  intellectual exercises, I can think of others that would be more productive than re-inventing Gnu Radio and UHD.