Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Kunal Kandekar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 14:51:46 -0400

Could it also be because GNU Radio has always treated the Windows platform as a second-class citizen?

I have tried installing GNU Radio on all three major OSes, Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu), OS X (10.5, 10.6) and Windows (XP, using Cygwin), and I never managed to get it running on Windows. On the other hand, it's been ~5 years since I tried and gave up, so things may have changed. Getting it running on OS X and Linux was (relatively) easy.

Windows is the most widespread desktop/laptop OS, and having to switch to Linux, or needing a separate machine, for GNU Radio development could be significant barrier to adoption.

It may be helpful to look at what people *do* use instead of GNU Radio, and see how they differ.

Kunal