Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Discuss-gnuradio Digest, Vol 102, Issue 11

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Discuss-gnuradio Digest, Vol 102, Issue 11
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:32:12 -0400

On 10/05/2011 1:11 PM, Bruce McGuffin wrote:

GnuRadio is cheap, but really poorly documented, buggy, and based on Python,
which is not very widely known. So it appeals to academics because
they have more (student's) time than money, and doesn't appeal to business because their time costs more. Also they don't trust it because they can't
get customer support.

Bruce
Again, I'll point out that most functional blocks in Gnu Radio are written in C++, and for quite some time now, you have been able to construct Gnu Radio flow-graphs using a purely C++ approach. I personally don't use that approach, because I'm not a C++ guy, and GRC emits Python. But a fair number of others these days use the C++ flow-graph-constructing architecture. It's conceivable that one might in the future have a version of GRC that emits C++, instead of Python. But that's a significant project, and most of the time, the fact that the flow-graph is
  constructed in Python has essentially-zero performance implications.

All software is buggy. It doesn't matter whether it's commercially produced or not. I find Gnu Radio to be reasonably-good quality in this department (although earlier versions were buggier). I don't find it to be any more or less buggy than commercial software of similar
  scope and maturity.