Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD examples/apps

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD examples/apps
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:09:59 -0400

On 05/16/2011 09:50 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
> no, many of the parameters when left default yield no code. Part of the
> goal of generating nice simple readable code.
>
> -Josh

Hmmm, this will require some thinkage.  I just ran into a *similar*
problem when running
  Tom's uhd_fft.py on a BASIC_RX, because it sets the antenna, and of
course, there aren't
  any antenna options on the BASIC_RX.

The question becomes whether we place the burden on the user app to
"know" what is reasonable,
  and not ask UHD to set things that aren't actually there, or whether
there should be some kind
  of *explicit* "default" value that means "don't barf on me, bro".

For a hand-coded Python/C++ app, perhaps it's reasonable for the APP to
ask UHD what
 features are available, and only ask for settings related to those
features.  But for GRC, it's
 harder to do that sort of thing, since GRC is inherently declarative,
and not procedural.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium