Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to hexdump in gnuradio realtime

From: nimsi stouwdam
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to hexdump in gnuradio realtime
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:52:51 +0000

Hi,

Thank you for the fast reply. I will try what you suggested.
I will let you know if it worked.

regards
Nimsi

Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:12:51 +0200
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:55:33AM +0000, nimsi stouwdam wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> First of all my apologies for my bad English. I am a Dutch student and for a
> internship I use GNURadio.
>
> For test purposes I want to show the hexadecimals values of a stream of chars
> realtime (while running).
> I don't want to use 'printf' in the c-code of a block because sometimes it
> messes up the order of printing.
>
> What I want to use is some kind of terminal what shows the hexadecimals values.
> In GNURadio I saw a block named terminal sink, but I couldn't figure out how to
> use it.
>
> My question is as follows: Is there any way to show hexadecimal numbers in some
> kind of terminal realtime?
>
> Hopefully you understand my question and know an answer.

I'm not sure... you want to print the hex values of chars, but *not* on
the same output as your regular stdout?
Try this:

- Make a new block that converts chars to ASCII-hex (e.g. w/ sprintf)
- Connect that block to a gr_file_sink (or a gr_file_descriptor_sink),
and write to a file (or a named pipe).
- When the flowgraph is running, open a separate xterm, and in there, do
a 'tail -f FILENAME' (or 'cat PIPENAME').

The file approach will create a massive big text file, but perhaps you
want that.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)