Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 20:53:28 +0300

Just a note to those who spend $$$ on their antennas for *trivial* tests.

The easiest antenna would be a 1/2 wave dipole, two leds soldered to your coax (one to braid and the other to center)
Rip from your home electronics (DC-adapter etc) a ferrite and put it close to your 1/2 dipole so currents will (may) flow on the inside of your coax.
In my case I used a 1/4 wave copper tube (instead of a ferrite, sleeve BalUn) when testing GSM @ 1.8 GHz http://www.poes-weather.com/~patrik/usrp/1.8%20GHz%20Dipole-helix.jpg
Using no impedance match aint the end of the world since a 1/2 wave dipole is ~70 ohm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

To void other signals comming in you to your wave lenght, you could add a 1/4 wave shorted stub

There are alot of documents on the web. Be some careful though and don't trust everything.

I bet, in most user cases an *dedicated* antenna (TX/RX) can be built within an hour using < $5.
The good part here is, when you build your antenna yourself YOU learned something (works or not).

A great software we use for *dedicated* antenna design is http://www.eznec.com/

Good *luck* (luck is a bad word in our case)

Regards,
Patrik