Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sample wise execution of blocks in grc flow graph

From: Henry Matt
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sample wise execution of blocks in grc flow graph?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Colby,

So it means that it if one input comes at 20 samples/sec then it limits the output rate of my custom block to exactly 20 samples/sec? That is, the other input, gr_noise_source can provide samples at a rate faster than 20 samples/sec to the custom block input but the custom block produces output only when both inputs are available. Am I right?

I am sorry for not being clear about the other part of question. The question is that if I further multiply the output of the custom block (which has a sample rate of 20 samples/sec) with another signal of sampling rate 2M samples/sec then what will be the sampling rate of the product signal? If it will be 2M samples/sec then will the  custom block output sampled at 2M samples/sec have 1 non-zero sample followed by 100,000-1 zeros or will the custom block hold its output value to repeat it 100,000 times until the next sample arrives after 50mS?

Thanks a lot,
H.

Hi Henry,

GNU Radio, as far as I understand, does not have a concept of time. It will try to process samples as quickly as they are available. If your input sample is arriving every 50mS then a sample should be produced by your block shortly after the 50mS arrival mark.

What do you mean, the output value should stay there? The output value is shipped off to some other block that connects to yours.

--Colby