Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reed-Muller Codes, Spectral Estimation and clever

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reed-Muller Codes, Spectral Estimation and clever students
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:45:57 +0200

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 07:59:40PM -0400, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> Martin,
>
> That is fantastic works! Thanks for putting it out there!
>
> I have a question on the channel coding work done. Was there any benchmarking
> performed on it to test the throughput speed? Also, is there any SIMD code
> used
> to improve the performance? If not, I wonder how difficult it might be to use
> Volk functions for that?
>
> Thanks again!

Hi Tom and everyone,

some basic benchmarks were done (if your interested in the details, see
pp59 in the included PDF. You'll find the specs of the test system
there. Figure 5.2 is memory usage in bits, Figure 5.4 is the average
time to encode one information bit in µs, Figure 5.6 is the average CPU
load when transmitting 100 kbit/s (goodput). Way more interesting is the
decoding: Figure 5.7 is the average decoding time needed to decode one
code bit. Figure 5.9 shows achievable bit rates on the given system).

As for SIMD code and Volk: Nope, we've done nothing here. But it's a
good point. In particular, the Fast Hadamard Transform was implemented
as part of this toolbox, and I guess that alone could be optimized a
great deal. I'll look into it... could be interesting. Thanks for the
feedback!

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)