[Discuss-gnuradio] Here's a little beauty

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Here's a little beauty
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:13:43 -0400

Relatively simple flow-graph, not complete yet by any stretch of the imagination.

It starts out innocuous enough, but really gets going after a while. The RSS grows by about 150M/minute, the Virtual Size at a somewhat slower pace. After a few minutes of running, its RSS has grown enough that it's consuming *most* of the physical memory on the system, and the kernel is starting to look for solutions to the problem, the virtual size grows to about 6.2Gbyte on my system before things get utterly unusable, and I have to go to the console and kill it off. If I reduce the bandwidth, it grows more slowly, but it still grows, and grows,
  and grows, and grows.

I was even well-behaved in my FFT size--4096 bins, which is a nice even multiple of the page-size and everything.

The Gnu Radio memory behaviour is really starting to bug me. A lot. So much so that I'm contemplating going directly from UHD to my application (in this case, a multi-channel riometer). I really don't want to do that. If I had the time to dedicate to it, and the required depth of knowledge of the scheduler guts, I'd fix it myself, and post patches. I understand that the memory tricks are stream-performance "optimizations", but it's rather unoptimal when your system is eaten alive by stuff that, at least given a superficial glance, should be fairly innocuous (except, perhaps for the 25Msps bit, which nobody would argue is "casual" by any measure).

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator