Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where to Start?

From: dave
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where to Start?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:36:44 -0500

Well, I have not been able to get GRC to actually run.  I had setup two machines with Ubuntu 11.04 by installing the UHD package from ettus.com.  With that, I have gotten some basic programs to run (dial tone), but typing 'grc' shows the command as not found.

Attempts to install GRC via package first resulted in a version conflict.  A google search suggested I install clean so I did that (installing without the UHD) and instead got a bunch of python errors.  I did all that on the second machine... the first one still has the UHD installation that is not messed with.

Doesn't the GRC come with the UHD package?  If so, where is the binary (or python script) located?  Maybe it will work from the UHD install without any other modifications.

David

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:35:23 -0500, dave wrote

> Thanks for the information.  I'll focus on the GRC for now then.
>
> David
>
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:13:20 -0400, Marcus D. Leech wrote

> > On 07/09/2011 05:59 PM, dave wrote:
Ok, I will look into using the GRC as a first step.

> > I am hoping to work with the USRP eventually.  If someone knows some up to date tutorials specifically for USRP that would be appreciated as well.
> >
> > I see now that the mc4020 code was intended to gather the FM from a cable modem over a parallel port.  That is not general code or USRP code at all.
> >
> > The info at:   http://www.joshknows.com/gnuradio    ...does have some gnuradio + USRP specific code, but it's very short.  Maybe I can figure it out by looking at that along with the "how to write a signal block" page.

Thanks,
> > Dave

What you'll find is that you won't need to write your own signal processing blocks, at least, not intially.  GRC (also known as

--

Marcus

Leech
Principal