Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about RAW ethernet driver, UHD and firm

From: Nemanja Trecakov
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about RAW ethernet driver, UHD and firmware
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:35:41 +0100

Thanks Marcus,

I used your script which installed all the prerequisites, downloaded and installed the source code for newest version of Gnu radio and UHD, together with the newest pre-built images of FPGA and firmware. The last two mentioned were to find in usr/local/share/uhd/images.

The mentioned trunk files were also to be found in the UHDs' sub-directories 'firmware' and 'fpga'.

Regarding the firmware and FPGA image, here is how I understood it:
- There are to images flashed on the SD card, firmware and FPGA image.
- The firmware image configurates the FPGA pins and "constructs" "Soft CPU", now ZPU, which handles the communication
and operations with other hardware on the board, BUT NO DSP.
- On the other side, the FPGA image configurates the rest of the FPGA for high-speed DSP.

Correct?

One thing left unclear - Is the "Soft CPU" present in FPGA by fabrication, or is it just our choice of "constructing" it by programming FPGA to "construct" one?

Thank you in advance,
Nemanja