Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introducing noise/ considerable BER

From: shantharam balasubramanian
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introducing noise/ considerable BER
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:34:08 -0400

Hello people,

Thanks a lot for the reply. So, you are saying that the packet loss at
low transmitter amplitude in benchmark_Tx.py and benchmark_Rx.py come
from the loss of packet synchronization data, i.e., a part of the
packet synchronization data gets lost or degraded due to low SNR. I
know that packet loss also occurs if the queue length is not long
enough to hold incoming traffic or if the data reaches the receiver
after a long time. I want to ensure that these things don't happen.

Basically, we are trying to transmit a random binary sequence between
two nodes using the benchmark_Tx.py and benchmark_Rx.py programs.
Since both these programs use packets, we convert the whole binary
sequence into a number of packets and then transmit each packet using
the benchmark programs. Let us say, we have 2000 bits in total. We
convert it to 20 packets (100 bits/packet) and then transmit 20
packets from one node to the other. We want to calculate the bit error
rate for different levels of transmitter amplitude.

Based on our objectives, I have the following questions.

1. Is there any upper limit on the no. of binary bits per packet in
benchmark_Tx.py program?

2. Overall can I take other steps to get rid of the packet loss
scenario ? Adam, can you please describe the generation of long
preamble in further details ?

Your help and feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
shantharam