Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is There Any Tutorial for GNURadio Companion Sign

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is There Any Tutorial for GNURadio Companion Signal Processing Blocks
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 11:51:41 -0700

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 11:24 -0700, abdullah unutmaz wrote:
> Greetings USRP users and producers,
>
> We have constructed an eggbeater antenna to take VHF signals coming
> from amatuer radio satellites.
> And today I did my first demodulation and listened to a beacon signal.
> While trying to implement
> demodulation technique, I saw there are lots of useful signal
> processing blocks that probably leaves
> maybe nothing to do for basic telecommunication systems applications,
> may be they are much better.
>
> There are a few web sites in which we can find really good and working
> designs, but is there any tutorial,
> web site, or even a book in which we can find details of what signal
> processing blocks provided by GRC do?
> For example in a block there is something alpha, beta etc. but a
> beginner probably cannot know what it is,
> is it alpha network for instance, or some blocks though I took a
> course of telecommunication systems, in
> just one course all the related topics probably cannot be covered.
>
> For pleasure of consumer :), is not there any tutorial in which we can
> find what parameters of any GRC block mean, :) ?

Many of the blocks have Doxygen-provided help information in the GRC
properties menu for the block. For those that don't, the best recourse
is to read the source code of the block itself, unfortunately. Most of
the blocks follow the "usual conventions" found in popular DSP
textbooks, so a Costas loop should look like the Costas loop in your
textbook.

Feel free to ask more specific questions about blocks as well, if
there's no explanation in the Doxygen text for the block.

--n