Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raw binary data transmission

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raw binary data transmission
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:25:53 -0400

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM, shantharam balasubramanian
<address@hidden> wrote:
> hi
> I am using USRP2 testbed and I am willing to transmit and receive
> binary data between two nodes I am using. I have been working with the
> benchmark_tx and rx.py and I have been modifying those programs for
> the past 2 months for my project.
> I did this by, generating random number between 0 and 1 and then
> forming a binary sequence from it. But when adding the payload to the
> packet, I am not able to add any data of data type, other than string.
> So I had to make the binary numbers randomly and make them as string
> using str() function, and then add them to the payload before sending
> the packet.
> Is there anyway to transmit raw binary data through the nodes using
> the benchmark programs? Or is there any other program, that can help
> me with it?
>
> thank you

To do this, you'll probably want to redo the benchmark programs a bit.
You can make a gr.vector_source_b that you can put directly into the
modulators. They expect to take packed bytes (that is, all 8 bits in
the byte contain information). I use scipy.random.randint(0,256, N)
for stuff like this.

If you are looking to packetize your data like the benchmark scripts
do, then you will have to change how the paketizing function works to
work with non-string data. We don't have that functionality in there
right now.

Tom