Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] is ethernet protocol usrp use reliable to transmi

From: Colby Boyer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] is ethernet protocol usrp use reliable to transmit data?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:03:58 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/16/2011 11:32 PM, Page Jack wrote:
my USRP N200 sometimes receive data wrong, I don't know where is the problem in my application or
in hardware? So I wonder what ethernet protocol does usrp use and is it reliable to transmit data?

Regards!
Do you mean samples are received incorrectly, or your high-level data packets are received incorrectly.

The transport protocol used is based on UDP, which has no inherent error-recovery mechanism, but
  when carried over a local ethernet connection, should have a vanishingly-tiny error rate.  Vastly more
  likely that UHD-level UDP packets will get dropped due to buffer resource issues than actual data
  errors on the packets.

Keep in mind that what UHD "carries" is just samples of an analog phenomenon. While it carries those
  samples quite faithfully, the samples themselves may be distorted in many different ways that affect
  their "fidelity".

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium