Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modify the Basic RX Daughterboard

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modify the Basic RX Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 13:17:50 -0400

On 09/08/2011 01:08 PM, valentac wrote:
I have my own RF front end i'm using with the USRP, but it requires a High
impedance load to operate correctly. Since the basic RX daughterboard has a
50 ohm impedance, I have to modify it or add a separate voltage buffer
before the input. However, since the basic RX daughter board in the USRP has
an op-amp in its first stage, perhaps I could modify this.

I've tried removing R3 and R9
(http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/documents/4), but this did not seem to
load the RF front end sufficiently. Would changing the 348 ohm resistors to
a higher value help increase the input impedance into the basic RX
daughterboard? If so, how would this affect the output going into the A/D
(besides the obvious filtering effects).
I'd say consult the data-sheet for the AD8132. But just to clear things up, you're discussing the *LF_RX* daughtercard, *NOT* the BASIC_RX, which has no op-amp on it at all, just a
  transformer.

If your input impedance isn't insanely high, you could use a transformer. 4:1 broadband impedance
  transformers are available fairly cheaply from Mini-circuits, etc.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator