Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP network based spectrum analyzer

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP network based spectrum analyzer
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:04:11 -0400

On 9/28/11 4:54 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
On 28/09/2011 4:50 PM, Phelps Williams wrote:
I have a usrp and computer in a remote location without much network
bandwidth available to the system and I'm using it as a spectrum
analyzer.  I'd like to run the fft on the remote system and then send
the results to a connected client for display.  This would allow me to
get greater fidelity than xwindows forwarding or the ascii dft example
while also using less bandwidth.  I would imagine the client side
would potentially reuse some of the existing wx or qt interfaces for
display and control.

This seems like a pretty useful / simple use of this hardware.  Does
anybody know of any implementations floating around that does this?
  I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

-Phelps

You could use a GRC-based flow-graph that computes the FFT, and outputs
the results to a FIFO, and have a small C program that simply puts
    "snapshots" in an appropriate place.  Once it's in an "appropriate
place" (and perhaps in a form that you like), you could use a web server
    to observe the results.  Roughly 1e6 ways of skinning this particular
cat.

Why not just use VNC?  Its generally much lower bandwidth than X forwarding.