[Discuss-gnuradio] truncating bits

From: sirjanselot
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] truncating bits
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 19:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have a question in bit truncation.

Say I have a 14-bit FM waveform, digitized.  Underneath that signal
assuming they are both in the same frequency, there is another signal say
an AM signal.  The difference between the two is about 40 dB.  Is there way
such that I can remove the AM signal that is below the FM signal by bit
truncation?

I am curious as how the operation of truncating bits work.  If I do this,
since the FM signal is still about 56 dB higher than the AM signal, if I
were to take the MSBs and and truncate the LSBs that contain AM signal,
will I still be able to demodulate the FM signal?

I am having a hard demonstrating this in matlab to myself since I do know
how to use fixed-point toolbox (yet) so if somebody could please explain I
would be very greatful.

How can I do truncate bits in gnuradio?