[Discuss-gnuradio] "Unable to find USRP[0]" issue

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Unable to find USRP[0]" issue
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 01:02:51 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to use the "old" gnuradio python programs in a USRP2 daughterboard. I am facing the "unable to find USRP [0]" problem. I know that questions regarding this problem have appeared before. However, I am still posting my problem since it is probably occurring due to the compatibility issues between "UHD" and "Non-UHD" image.

At first, I used to image the usrp2 with "gnuradio-3.3.0" image and run benchmark codes. It ran fine. Now, the authorities in my laboratory are using UHD compatible SD cards to run codes in USRP2. USRP2 has been imaged with UHD_003_002_001 image. Using this image, when I log in to the node, I can go to the gnuradio folder by giving the following command:

cd gnuradio-uhd/gnuradio/

Thereafter, I give the following commands:

ifconfig eth2 192.168.10.1
ifconfig eth2 up

find_usrps

However, it says "No USRP found" (but I know that the daughter-boards are properly connected).

I at first thought that the problem could be solved by uninstalling and then re-building gnuradio. Therefore, inside the gnuradio directory, I gave the following commands:

sudo make uninstall

git clean -d -x -f

./bootstrap

./configure

make make check

sudo make install

ifconfig eth2 up
address@hidden:~/git/uhd# ifconfig eth2 192.168.10.1

However, even this did not solve my problem. That means, when I type find_usrps, it still says:

ethernet:write_packet: send: Network is down
No USRP2 found.

As a result, when I try to run the benchmark_rx.py and benchmark_tx.py programs of the python/digital folder, it says:

usrp: failed to find usrp[0]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./benchmark_rx.py", line 112, in <module>
    main()
  File "./benchmark_rx.py", line 101, in main
    tb = my_top_block(demods[options.modulation], rx_callback, options)
  File "./benchmark_rx.py", line 45, in __init__
    self.rxpath = usrp_receive_path.usrp_receive_path(demodulator, rx_callback, options)
  File "/root/gnuradio-uhd/gnuradio/gnuradio-examples/python/digital/usrp_receive_path.py", line 65, in __init__
    self._setup_usrp_source(options)
  File "/root/gnuradio-uhd/gnuradio/gnuradio-examples/python/digital/usrp_receive_path.py", line 76, in _setup_usrp_source
    self.u = usrp_options.create_usrp_source(options)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gnuradio/usrp_options.py", line 88, in create_usrp_source
    gain=options.rx_gain,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gnuradio/blks2impl/generic_usrp.py", line 138, in __init__
    _generic_usrp_base.__init__(self, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gnuradio/blks2impl/generic_usrp.py", line 63, in __init__
    except: raise Exception, 'Failed to automatically setup a usrp device.'
Exception: Failed to automatically setup a usrp device.

I don't know how to solve this problem. Your help will be very very appreciated.

Thanks,

Nazmul

--
Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.