Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] distribution and integration - any debs?

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] distribution and integration - any debs?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 03:53:20 -0700

On 10/06/2011 01:21 AM, Marius Ciepluch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently trying to build a newer Debian/Ubuntu package of GNU Radio
> (with the 3.3 stable and 3.4git, including UHD and QT/WX GUIs). It seems
> the current binary distribution lacks updates (3.2 is the last version).
> However syncing or integrating work over many workstations (here we have
> ~8-10) is easier using pre-compiled debs.
>
> Is there any current work here? Compiling the Git source tree or the
> stable tar ball requires lots of dependency hunting, which should not be
> necessary on each individual work station. I'd like to be able to
> integrate upon a proper package management (updates, conflicts,
> additional stacks) to keep work compatible.

There should be zero dependency hunting if you follow the build guide.
Please update the wiki if this is not the case.

> While it seems the current build system is going to change to cmake...
> is there any progress here that could ease my part? Or does anyone have
> a repo, PPA, DL for an updated deb? - That could be very helpful :)

I did some work based of my cmake branch to generate debian files for
each component. Basically, the work consists of an example dependencies
file, a mini project to build each deb file, and a script to tie it all
together:

http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/tree/cmake/debian?h=multi_deb

It basically works like this: The make_debs script will build the
project which generates an install manifest for all the files in each
component. Then for each component, it uses the manifest to generate a
mini project which builds a deb package. The end result is a directory
full of debian packages. Usage:

make_debs.sh <source dir> <build dir> Ubuntu_11_04.cmake

As it stands, there are a few major things missing:

1) fixing minor issues to make the deb lint checker tool happy
2) providing a set of package dependencies per component, per os
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/tree/cmake/debian/Ubuntu_11_04.cmake?h=multi_deb
3) and actually testing the generated deb packages

Most of the work here is based around the idea of generating multiple
debian packages, 1 per component. CMake has no issue generating one big
DEB package or 1 big RPM for the entirety of the project (you can do
this w/ my next branch). Aside from that, the issue would still be
gathering up a list of dependencies per OS just like in the
Ubuntu_11_04.cmake file. We would probably want to cover all off the
recent ubuntus from 10.04LTS to now and the most recent two fedoras.

-josh