Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Overruns with hier_block2

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Overruns with hier_block2
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:27:16 -0800

On 11/22/2011 06:16 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Jordan Otomo <address@hidden>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Josh and Tom for the info.  Tom, I was unable to profile my
>> flowgraphs using your suggested method.  For some reason, the head block
>> does not predictably stop the program.  For example, if I specify 15 items
>> it will return immediately (as expected), but if I use 16 items it will
>> hang.
>>

> That sounds like some work function isn't behaving correctly. Besides

Perhaps we are missing a coding guide on how to write work functions.

Helpful tips like:

If your work function blocks, it must block in an interruptible call,
have an interruption point, or manually check for thread interrupted.

The start method should be used to cleanup state before work is called.
Things can get hairy of your last work was interrupted and state
variables were left kind of "funky".

And other useful tidbits... I bet many blocks in gr dont follow the
coding guidelines that I just made up, and hence, may have issues with
lock/unlock working properly. :-)

-Josh