Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New to GnuRadio (Fortran own blocks?)

From: Moritz Fischer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New to GnuRadio (Fortran own blocks?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:22:51 +0100

On 11/26/2011 09:18 AM, Uzair Baig wrote:

> Here is what I am planning. I am thinking of writing my own Fortran blocks
> (we are a team of 4 so yes that is possible) and integrating that with
> python; NumPy and then use that to connect with other basic blocks.

Another way to use Fortran in GNU Radio is to wrap them in a C++ block, you might want to have a look at [0] to see how we did that. This however supposes that you actually want to use the GNU Radio runtime to write a GNU Radio application (which I'm not entirely sure of is what you want to do). Maybe you could elaborate further on what you are actually planning to do?

> Please tell me if that will work (as in how much efficient would that be), and
> whether there is a way round understanding the blocks.

If I understand you correctly you want to have an answer on how efficient that is and if it is possible to do this *without* understanding the blocks?!

> We are okay in making our own Fortran blocks and working, but we need to be
> sure. And would really like if we can find some book/manual to understand
> on what convention was the blocks already existing made, etc, so we use
> most of the existing work done.

I think there is no official convention for writing Fortran blocks in GNU Radio, but for coding guidelines see README.hacking.

May I ask a final question, why did you select Fortran? Do you have a lot of matrix computations to do?

In our case we used Fortran for several reasons including wanting to learn how to do it, and (to our knowledge) the lack of equally fast implementations in C/C++ of the matrix computations involved.

Cheers & happy hacking,

Moritz

[0] http://github.com/kit-cel/gr-specest.git