Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] which math library to link with

From: Zack Moratto
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] which math library to link with
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:43:30 -0800

+1 vote for Eigen

It's fast for both small and large matrices. My only wish is that it had more support for sparse matrices.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Douglas Geiger <address@hidden> wrote:
Just to jump in with *another* personal favorite math library:
I've used Eigen (http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/) for some of my software
that required linear algebra.
A couple selling points:
 * Header only (only requires installation for compilation vs. runtime)
 * Extensive use of native vectorized math when available (they
advertise SSE 2/3/4, AltiVec and ARM NEON - although I've only run on
SSE-enabled machines)
 * A rather easy to use API

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Philip Balister <address@hidden>
> wrote:

>> Speaking with my embedded system hat on ...
>>
>> I'd like to see gnuradio drop the gsl requirement. I did a quick search
>> of the gsl list archive and don't see anything about people trying to
>> improve performance on arm machines. So I would not like to see gsl used
>> widely in gnuradio. I have no problem with add on block sets using gsl,
>> just there be a clear dividing line.
>>
>> Philip
>

> Fair point. Is there any other scientific library that would be more
> appropriate? Amradillo has a good reputation, but a quick look didn't pull
> up any Arm or embedded discussions, either. Then again, most of these tools
> are designed for people doing science projects beyond what we think of doing
> traditionally in embedded systems, so it's no surprise that they would
> ignore them.
>
> Tom

Doug Geiger