Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building under FreeBSD

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building under FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 16:30:29 -0800

Ok, all of gnuradio from the current master builds on freebsd 8.2 with
all dependencies installed from pkg_add. Now here are the little snags
(mostly relating to the graphical appliances in gnuradio)

1) qtgui tweaks
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/commit/?h=freebsd_tweaks&id=ca3868256079060993ebb643e34b39c558052ce0

2) The find qt cmake script is bonkers. This diff makes fixes it, but
was too goofy to commit: http://pastebin.com/13H4qNRe

What this means is the script found and set all the important variables
to build with qt4, and then must have given up towards the end. Applying
1 and 2, gr-qtgui builds.

3) All unit tests pass except for http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/481
Although I didnt run qtgui test since that needed an X server.

4) GRC didnt configure on account of this:

[root@ ~/build/gnuradio]# python -c "import gtk"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-1.2/gtk.py", line 894
    def set_policy(self, as, ag, autos):
                          ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

That as is probably a reserved keyword. This is python 2.6

5) I noticed that when building gnuradio the second time, after
installing, the compiler was building against installed gr headers in
/usr/local/include I noticed this since qtgui was building against the
installed high_res_timer.h with the bug in it and not the in-tree one
that I fixed. Thats got to be a compiler or cmake issue, but I have
never seen this happen on other platforms.

-josh