Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:15:19 -0800

>  However, since I imagine there are plenty of people who don't really
> want to go through the additional step of dealing with git (if they're
> used to building from tarballs), I believe cmake has the ability to
> create them using the make package_source command, but I admit I've
> never tried this with GNURadio, and have no idea how well it
> does/doesn't work. Note that cmake-produced tarballs do require cmake
> to exist on the machine doing the build (whereas autotools generated
> tarballs only assume the Bourne shell+required compilers/etc. are
> available).

Yea, thats exactly the case. So, the package_source target will
basically tar/zip/7 up the source tree as it is. I suspect part of its
utility comes from the fact that someone may want to include extra stuff
into the source tree as part of the build. I guess it also simplifies
calling the commands and putting version numbers on the files. I think
the whole github doing it automatically for you is pretty swell, but
anyhow, this works to the same effect.

-Josh