Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:14:08 -0600

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 06:35:19PM -0500, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> I can confirm that the relevant .rbf files are the same between what I
> just downloaded via "build-gnuradio firmware", and what was
>   shipped with Gnu Radio 3.2.2:
>
> Gnu Radio 3.2.2:
>
> MD5SUM                             FILE
> ================================
> 7744fe9a8fa7b3009d16789fb5309ae8   std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf
> 953d288b23adbfcc92e6408131480331   std_4rx_0tx.rbf
>
> Fetched via build-gnuradio, installed in /usr/local/share/uhd/images
> mere moments ago:
>
> MD5SUM                             FILE
> 7744fe9a8fa7b3009d16789fb5309ae8   usrp1_fpga.rbf
> 953d288b23adbfcc92e6408131480331   usrp1_fpga_4rx.rbf
>

> The *filenames* are different, but the images are the same.

Best I can tell, the clone of UHD contains the std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf and
std_4rx_0tx.rbf file (and others). No .ihx file, though.

> Pretty sure it's the same story for the .ihx file that is the USRP1
> firmware for the on-board FX2, although it *may* have been recompiled
>   under a newer SDCC since Gnu Radio 3.2.2, not sure--in which case,
> the .IHX files would almost certainly be different.

I seems to either be different or UHD can not determine that it is the
same. UHD wants to re-load the USRP1 even when I move the USB connector
from an older machine and dmesg shows it to be loaded with the FX2 code.

Might get re-loaded when moved the other direction but the old code is
not as obvious about it.

> When the UHD interface for USRP1 was put together, it was decided not to
> make any changes to the platform itself, but rather to have
>   UHD make the existing interface "work" with UHD, and certain UHD
> features are "emulated" for USRP1.

No problem. I'm just trying to get it to work with the 3.5.+ stuff so I
can take advantage of new examples. Instead I'm learning Ubuntu, cmake,
UHD, and various install intricacies.

--
    The computer is supposed to work for YOU, not the other way around.
LRK